Saturday, November 9, 2013

Thankfulness Day 9 - Thankful for Gardens


Today my hubby went out and planted our winter garden (yes, a bit late in the season, but better late than never!). We had moderate success with our summer garden which was encouraging, and since we have been on a recent health kick we have had even greater motivation to grow our own food. I am so thankful our landlords not only let us tear up their yard, but are fully supportive and allow us to use their left over tools and supplies. I am also thankful we have the ability to grow our own food! With some of the scary articles I have read concerning genetically modified foods, pesticide use, and the attempts to patent seeds (can you imagine?? The ridiculousness…) brings me to be thankful one can still grow a private garden!

Here are a couple pictures of a bit of our harvest from the past few months:
Garden Zucchini! I mix this with bellpepper into my scrambled eggs every morning.  Sometimes we steam and mash it so our LO can enjoy our harvest with us.


I enjoy cabbage from time to time, but it’s not usually my vegetable of choice. However, our homegrown cabbages were far different than the ones we procure in stores. I was skeptical after my hubby plucked them and they were all manner of sizes and misshapen appearing; compared to the perfect, round, matching globes of cabbage one finds in stores. And when my husband sliced the first cabbage head open, unlike the dry cabbage from stores, watery cabbage juice flowed from the slice and left a puddle on our cutting board.
We fried it up in some coconut oil and let me tell you, it was scrumptious! Most flavorful and delicious cabbage I have ever had! A small amount of salt added and I gobbled an entire head of it for my dinner. When my hubby asked what I would like him to plant for the winter garden, cabbages were my first request. LOTS of cabbages!
Most flavorful cabbage I have ever had! Quite delicious










1 comment:

  1. I'm always looking for something new for my garden, was this a specific type of cabbage that you planted. I planted some cabbage this year but none grew.
    Uncle Ron

    ReplyDelete