Saturday, November 16, 2013

Thankfulness Day 16 - Thankful for Teachers


I could be wrong, but I’m guessing your thoughts probably go directly to schoolteachers. I am thankful for those people as well; we need teachers and it’s a big undertaking I’m not sure I would want to do, so I’m glad that others do. However, the sort of teachers I interact with currently aren’t necessarily designated teachers. Everyone has skills and talents unique to them (or at least, unique to a smaller group of people) and I appreciate when those people take the time to share their knowledge and help others learn. Perhaps it means more to me because it’s not their designated job, and they are freely giving of their own time in order to teach someone else how to improve. 

            Today the photography club organized a pin-up style photo shoot in order for photographers to practice their skills and have some fun. The people in charge of the club don’t get paid to be there, but they have a passion for the craft and they choose to take time out of their day to teach their skills to others. And I certainly learned a great deal from their shared knowledge! I also had fun playing with the photography accessories they were eager to share.

            The shoot was good fun, and we had various models arrive and they were done up by several makeup and hair stylists. The models then kindly let the photographers then got to boss them around and ask them to pose in various locations. We started in the studio and then went outside to explore an abandoned building next door. I find I much prefer shooting outdoors and interacting with a more live setting. Here are some of the shots I took today.

Working in the studio. We got to practice with the various umbrella flashes, posing, and use of backdrops. 

Here we had moved to the abandoned building next door. 



This shoot also gave me the opportunity to explore ways to edit photos.
Not sure how much I like this soft/glow sort of edit, but it's fun to mix it up.  

This is really just a shot of her hair. I like the styles! If only they weren't so time consuming to do on oneself...


Certainly not professional by any means, but it was neat to get the opportunity to experiment with new settings and people. And bonus, my hubby got some quality time with our LO at a nearby park while I shot.


2 comments:

  1. I am always attracted to the black and white. I hope they all get copies of these great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't send them copies :/ Mostly because there were some far better photographers there getting shots of them, and I saw their results on facebook. I don't think they'll be needing my copies...

    ReplyDelete