Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Thankfulness Day 12 - Hooray for Coupons!


Today I am going to express my gratitude for coupons. I wasn’t a “couponer” before coming to Italy, however after I was informed of a program that sent military members coupons, I decided it really couldn’t be easier, so I might as well give it a go. I signed up for the program and was matched with 5 people from the states who volunteered to find, clip, and mail coupons to me overseas. Wow! How cool are those people? Well now I carry my coupons with me to every shopping trip and I usually save around $10 a trip with them. (And we make our trip once a week). Being overseas, we are limited by the food they ship over here, but we still manage to save a lot of money with the coupons.

The coffee store on base also has a huge file system where people can go and put the coupons they don’t use and pick up one’s other people have discarded. Sometimes I will sit in the coffee shop and dig for specific coupons I am looking for. Our savings with coupons definitely dropped with my new diet. Coupons for fresh produce doesn’t seem to exist… however we still save on frozen veggies, dairy and meats that my hubby eats, as well as cleaning supplies and soaps, etc. I find that most of the coupons seem to be for the unhealthy foods. Sugar cereals, ice cream, cookie packs, sodas, etc all seem to have an abundance of coupons available. Healthier food options have fewer coupons. Regardless, we still save enough money to make it worth it, and I’m very thankful to have coupons, and to have people stateside who spend their spare time clipping and mailing off their coupons!


If you happen to be a couponer and would like to donate your spare coupons to military members, go here: http://www.couponstotroops.com/ to sign up!



No comments:

Post a Comment