Monday, November 11, 2013

Thankfulness Day 11 - Dehumidifiers!


Mold was a non-existent problem at our last place, here in Italy however, the mold is rampant everywhere. Nearly every spouse I know battles with it in their houses. Italy is a humid place, and someone told me the paint here isn’t permitted to have the chemicals it does in the states and as such it is less hostile for mold growth (but I don’t know if that’s a fact as I haven’t researched this thoroughly). When I spoke with the landlord, his solution was to paint over it. OVER it?? I shudder at the thought of how many layers of mold are underneath these layers of paint…
The mold is terrible for one’s health and we’ve tried all manner of things. We used to spray and scrub it, however many people told us not to bother with the scrubbing, as it will only make it worse the next time it comes back. We’ve sprayed vinegar on it, and that definitely worked, but it always came back within weeks. The interior of the house is not so bad, but anything with an exterior wall flares up with mold. Our son’s room is terrible with it and we felt badly putting him in there so we moved him into our room with us and hardly utilize his room. I read on the military spouse facebook page of other spouses who found stuffed animals molded through, and while it has stuck to the ceilings in our place, we wanted it taken care of.
            Today a painter came and scraped off layers and layers of old paint, and repainted the problem walls. We also purchased dehumidifiers to place in our problem rooms, as we’ve been told they are a huge help. The landlords also said we had to open the entire house for 15 minutes a day (yes, even in the freezing of winter! Every time I open the windows and feel the cold rushing in and the warmth out, I have flashbacks to my childhood and can hear my dad’s voice in the back of my head, scolding me and telling me he’s not paying to heat the whole neighborhood! haha). We must also open the windows during showers and when running the laundry.
            We also got a humidity reader that sits on the wall above the thermometer and lets us know what our humidity is at. I’m bummed we didn’t get this running/installed the day we started the dehumidifiers! We don’t know how bad it was when we first started the dehumidifiers, but when we did get it up a few days later, it said our household humidity was 78%. Eep! The recommended household humidity is between 40-50%. Our house is now consistently in the 50’s, and on occasion we’ve been able to get it as low as 38%. The mold is still present in the locations the painter didn’t get, but it hasn’t increased/spread. So I am thankful that these dehumidifiers seem to be working, and that the house is a healthier place for us to live in!



No comments:

Post a Comment