Monday, November 4, 2013

Thankfulness Day 4 - Thankful for Italy


I am so thankful for where we live! What an amazing blessing and opportunity it has been to live in Italy. Sometimes I feel like I live in a storybook. I am now living in the midst of the scenery I once saw in travel shows and picture books. This country is rich in culture and history; as such, it is common to drive along the road and see ruins of a castle or other great, old mansion. 

You can stroll through the town and as the bell tolls (because every town has a bell tower) you can see the older folk relaxing outside their houses and in front of shops, eager to socialize and converse with people. I have seen others with bread in the baskets of their bike as they make their daily bread run to get it fresh from the bakery.

I love the relaxed pace. Stores open in the later morning, close around noon, and reopen after resttime, or Riposo as they call it. Time is not so strict, and if you are asked to arrive at 9:00, it really means, arrive around 9:00; none of this crazy hustle and bustle one often finds in the states and the stress of being “the late person”.  People will get here when they get here and events will start when one feels ready to start them.

I particularly love our little place in Italy. I took the picture below after sitting in the house on a foggy autumn morning, and I heard the tinkle of little bells. I peered outside to see a flock of sheep being herded down our street by a little shepherd boy.

Please sir, wait for me whilst I change into my peasant dress and cloak!



There is never a dull moment, (but that doesn't mean it's crazy, they are relaxed, yet interesting moments) and there's always something fantastic to discover. I love living in the Italian countryside! 






No comments:

Post a Comment