Friday, May 10, 2013

Giesse Scampoli - Italian Fabric Store

 
Scampoli is the place where the military wives (and many Italians of course) go to find their fabric. The base has a craft store, but it is about as big as our living room and as a result the fabric selection is very small and consists solely of overpriced solids. My friend and I had heard of Scampoli and decided to venture there during a weekday to find some material for our prospective projects.

Scampoli is larger than any fabric store I’ve encountered before, and included two floors with an escalator ramp so one’s cart could travel downstairs with you. Here they carried fabric for nearly any necessity, from apparel to reupholstering furniture, all was there.
  
My shopping buddy enjoyed his cart ride.
Scrap bins and weighing station.
      Fabric is measured by the meter, and scraps and odd shaped pieces were placed into bins and sold by weight. I was anticipating getting to see some unique Italian fabrics and designs, however their patterns aren't far off from American options. I was surprised they didn't have much by way of cotton fabrics. There was a small section entitled "Cotone Americano" where cotton fabrics in questionable patterns were sold. These cottons were also very expensive compared to other fabrics. (Why that is I am not sure...) Cotton was my primary target for the current project I'm working on, (and it's an exciting project, can't wait to show it to you!) so discovering their small selection of cottons in overly priced, reject 60's patterns was disappointing. I still enjoyed my time at the store, however, even if only for the notions, of which they had a vast amount. Rows and rows of buttons, bells, charms and the like. And I am a fanatic for ribbons. I mainly use them in my hair, but they are great for crafts and scrapbooking as well.  


Ribbons galore! One of many ribbon rows



     
        While I didn't get to procure cottons or unique Italian patterns, it's always good to travel to a new place and experience different aspects of their culture. And I was able to get a few things that will assist me with upcoming projects as well as hang out with a new friend of mine. It made for a good rainy day activity. :)




1 comment:

  1. I love that little guy and his expressions haha he seems intently focused.

    ReplyDelete