Monday, April 8, 2013

Happy 90th Birthday Grandpa!!!

Many birthdays come and go, but this one is higher than most, and as such I thought it deserved some recognition. My Grandpa turned 90 yesterday! Healthy as a horse and sharp as a tack, here is my grandpa hiking up Mt. Hollywood at the age of 90. 

See the Hollywood sign in the back left there? How many 90 yr olds can do this!? Likely only my gpa ^_^

Upon receiving the e-mail that our Adam had been born, he responded: "Thank you !! ! That means that I had seven children, seven grandchildren and seven great-grand children. Seven is the biblical lucky number."  haha, seven is a lucky number and he has now been blessed with it three times in a row, and we are blessed to have him! 

Four generations of good looking Fish men. From oldest to youngest: Marion Joseph Fish, Joseph William Fish, Abraham Jensen Fish, and Brock Jensen Fish. 
I have learned that here in Italy, the generations are spread much farther apart than the states. The Italians view families differently, and they generally wait to have their children until they are older. They marry, have careers, and then have their children after at least the age of 30. And then they only have two children, sometimes (and rarely) three. I'm rather glad that this was not the case with our family, for with such an age gap you are less likely to have deeper relationships between generations, or to get awesome pictures like this one! Great-grandparents are unheard of in my experience with Italians, though there must be some rare cases in which they occur and I simply haven't heard of them. 

My grandpa with his great-grandson Brock
I hope you had an excellent 90th birthday Grandpa! I'm sorry we weren't able to be there to celebrate with you in person, but you were in our thoughts from afar <3 




P.S. You're going strong so I'm not too concerned, but don't get any ideas on cutting out on us! Adam has yet to meet you! ;)


1 comment: