Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Brace for impact... 2014 coming in!


Well folks, here we are on the eve of another new year, anticipating the next set of 365 days. We are more than ready. We have chosen our attire to ring in the new year, coincidentally we both opted for our well worn draw string sweats and our favorite pj shirt (mine has Perry the Platypus plastered on it. Oh YEA!). New Years Kiss? We'll be taking that early. About three hours early... so we can have a New Year's snooze. No countdown, no noise makers (other than the occasional snore...), and I am very much looking forward to that!

If I were superstitious, I might think 2013 was an unlucky year and possibly out to get me (don't get me wrong, loads of good things happened too, but also a lot of challenges and difficulties). Whilst drafting my resolutions/goals for the year to come, I looked back to see what took place this year.

Some of the larger occurrences were moving halfway around the world (overseas to a foreign country where we didn't speak the language!), first home with just me and hubby, having our first child, learning about and dealing with his PKU condition, discovering I have cancer, undergoing major surgery, then discovering I still had cancer and it was far more extensive than they first thought which resulted in massive diet and lifestyle changes for us (the status of it's efficacy is still undetermined). These were some of the bigger things, though not all. There were ups and downs, hubby missed his test for promotion, I lost one of my best friends of eight years, but gained many new friends. I have traveled to 8 different countries this year, which were wonderful opportunities that I am quite thankful for, but traveling can also be very tiring. I added everything up and found that I spent over two months staying/sleeping in places other than our home. Looking back at all that's happened this year, the first thought that comes to mind is, man am I exhausted! What an intense year it's been! I wish I could pull a Rip Van Winkle and sleep for the next couple decades, but alas, aside from death I don't think that's a feasible option.

I recall last year at this time, getting the vibe that 2013 was going to be a big year, and that certainly proved true. I am praying for and anticipating a much more peaceful and uneventful year for 2014. Other than successfully ridding myself of cancer, I think I’d be happy if nothing else happened this year.

As far as the blog goes, I noticed that I have 73 published posts. Not bad! That’s an average of 1.4 posts a week. (And I have 24 drafts that never made it to publishing… hm, better luck next year eh?) The blog has also amassed over 15,000 views since I started it in January of this year. Cool.

The resolutions/goals were easy to make this year. Most people have goals to eat healthier (can’t get any healthier than I’ve been eating!) or to lose weight (I’ve lost 20 pounds since starting this diet, I’m trying to figure out which vegetable will most help me gain weight!) and I already spend the max amount of time with all the loved ones and friends that I can. My main goals are to get more sleep, spend more time in meditation, and to conquer this cancer. Keeping it simple ;) My hubby and I also came up with goals as a couple, like going on an excursion of some sort every week, which should be fun.

I’m very thankful I made it to see a new year. I pray that I make it to my birthday, then my son’s birthday, and so on and so forth and hopefully next year I’ll still be around to write another scattered post about the following year to come. Thank you everyone for your love, prayers, and support. They helped to brighten our 2013 :) 

A picture from our excursion this morning. Family bike ride! Our LO wasn't too keen on the helmet, and he wouldn't keep the sunglasses on his head... but he definitely enjoys the riding part!




P.S. Ring in the New Year for me? This tired woman is going to bed! 



1 comment: