Monday, October 7, 2013

Bella Befana Bazaar


This past weekend was the 46th annual Bella Befana Bazaar! I have become a fast fan of the bazaars, which are held once in spring, and once again in the fall of every year. The enlisted spouses assist in organizing the spring bazaar, and the officer’s spouses assist in putting together the fall bazaar.

Vendors from all over Europe and beyond come to attend the Bazaar, which is held in one of the large hangars on base. Furniture made with wood from old churches and monasteries hand crafted in Germany? Check. Imported cheese from Switzerland? Handicrafts from Holland? Antiques from all over Europe? Check, check, and check! Everyone comes to us and are all in one location. It is a fantastic shopping experience! I hope you enjoy the pictures I took at the event!

Turkish Rugs! 
Carved Wooden antiques from around Europe
With many of the larger, nicer items, such as the Turkish rugs, antiques, and furniture, my hubby and I decided to get those sort of things our last year here, just before we are shipped back to the states. That way we have time to save up and also won’t have to squeeze them into our tiny house for very long! I can’t wait to get Turkish rug and perhaps a lovely carved something… until then, I will admire them and plan for the future!  

             Matryoshka Dolls from Russia! Also known as “nesting/nested dolls”, first invented in 1890. And yes, I most definitely bought a set. There were numerous ornate ones made from various materials, but I wanted something close to the original. The woman showed me the model after the original design, and it was smaller and far simpler than most, a peasant design, but it seemed the most authentic to me, so that was the one I purchased. 


Aside from shopping, I loved chatting with the vendors (and hearing their accents from their various homelands). They always seemed to enjoy discussing their craft/passion and I it gave me the chance to learn a bit about their history as well. (And sometimes if you build a tiny relationship with them, they will give you a discount and be more willing to bargain!) I met the woman who hand makes and decorates these Venetian masks here in Italy. I acquired a few to hang on the wall as both décor and memento of Italian life. Halloween is not very popular here in Italy, and is really only practiced by a few people here due to the local American influence. Their time to dress up in odd costumes and party is during the festival Carnevale, the event where these masks are typically worn.  

This booth had all manner of things made out of Olive Wood. I happened to win a a bowl set valued at $50! Needless to say I was very excited. My hubby, as a recent chess enthusiast, was quite interested in these Olive Wood chess boards. But we didn't acquire one this year.
Oh man, so many delicious sweets! And I can't have any due to my special cancer diet :( It was very depressing, but also highly motivating!



 
While the women come for the shopping, I believe the guys mostly come for the food… Here is a turkey leg, it was one of three meals my husband and his friend ate during our two-hour visit, and what they talked about during the entire drive over... 







      My Little and I, in the food court outside of the Hangar. The Bazaar is a great fundraiser for the various organizations, clubs, and squadrons on base. Each group can host a food booth to raise money. I volunteered at the Breast Feeding Club booth again, before heading out for more shopping!



There are loads of things I didn’t get pictures of (sorry, I was busy shopping and talking!). But hey, they have this twice annually so I can almost guarantee that you'll see another Bazaar related post in the future. :)





1 comment: