Sunday, March 10, 2013

Italians and Monthly Birthdays


While Adam and I were in the hospital, my roommate told me it was her son’s 2 month birthday and elaborated that Italians celebrate birthdays monthly for their children when they are young. (Wow, and I thought Americans were overboard with children’s birthdays!)

On March 8th, my husband was helping the landlord chop wood and the woman, Marchelena (though that may not be how she spells it…), came in to visit with me. She was holding Adam and asked if they could bring over cake the following day. I was confused, but not being one to turn down cake I said, “Of course!” She could see I was rather puzzled at the random act of cake giving and asked, “Tomorrow, Adam one month, no?” That was when I recalled the conversation I’d had with my Italian hospital roommate. “Ah, si si!” I responded. “Bene!” she replied, clapping her hands and exiting. 

The succeeding day my husband answered the doorbell to find them standing there with cake and a bottle of wine. They walked in and Albano asked, “Where is the guest of honor!?” haha. I went and grabbed Adam, who was sleeping in his crib, and brought him out to his “1 month” birthday party. We shared the pie/”cake” they brought and passed around the baby and made conversation as best we could with our language differences.

I’m not sure if this is something they expect us to do monthly… but it was nice to enjoy some good food and company, and to celebrate the fact that our son is now a month old, and still alive and well. 


Albano and Marchelena? with Adam on his 1 month birthday











3 comments:

  1. wow every month? i too thought americans were crazy with the holidays and birthdays etc lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys sure got lucky with the landlords or does every American serving in Italy get such nice surrogate grandparents for their kids.

    Uncle Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. God has sure blessed you with wonderful landlords!

    Aunt Joyce

    ReplyDelete